Casky Baptist Church
Chapel Hill United Methodist Church
Christian Heights Methodist Church
Christian Science Society
Church of God of Prophecy
Concord Baptist Church
Consolation Universalist Church
Crofton Baptist Church
Crofton Christian Church

Casky Baptist Church
Casky Baptist Church
    Near the close of the year 1886 a handful of Baptists met to organize a church of their own in the community of Casky.  In 1886 the Louisville and Nashville Railroad, pushing its way northward to St. Louis, created the need of a station between Pembroke and Hopkinsville and the village of Casky resulted.  The depot and post office called for a country store, a doctor, and other essentials to civilization.  This was also the era of the Grange movement; Casky fell in line and soon had a Grange Hall of its own.  It became a public meeting place for the people of the community and finally a union Sunday School was organized and religious services were sometimes held.  Two prominent leaders in the vicinity, Rev. John L. Kendall, pastor of Locust Grove Church, and Winston Henry, a deacon in the Salem Church, originated the idea of "building a church at Casky--without money".
    Through the kindness of Esq. W. E. Warfield, a prominent leader of the Episcopal Church in Hopkinsville, a vacant house nearby was "tendered to Rev. Kendall to use without rent", as long as he wanted it, as "they needed a preacher in the neighborhood".  The eight "Charter Members" were:  Rev. and Mrs. John L. Kendall, members of the Locust Grove Church;  Winston Henry, of Salem Church; his second wife, Mrs. Mollie B. Henry, still a member at Adams Station, Tennessee; Mrs. Eliza Bronough of Pembroke Church; Miss Belle Henry, who, as a student at Bethel College, had joined in Hopkinsville and retained her membership there; and Newton Watson and J. R. Harris from other churches by letter.
    Mr. Kendall became the church's first pastor and served for several years.  The first names of other pastors during the first fifteen or twenty years has been lost, but their last names were:  Willis, Pierce, Compton, Couch, and Perryman.  In its early days the struggling little church met for worship in the Grange Hall, planning and working all the time to build a permanent meeting house.
    Esq. Thomas Green, a member of the Westminster Presbyterian Church in Hopkinsville gave the lot upon which the church was built.  It was finally under roof; the people of the community all helped. . . "some with their means and some with their own hands".  Then the women took hold and saw to it that pews and other furnishings were supplied.  Even before the building was completed, the infant church started a "protracted meeting", but the organizers did not need "reviving".  This meeting more than doubled the membership of the church.  The pastor's father and son, William, who became a distinguished minister, were among those baptized at the end of the meeting.
    Even though Casky Station has declined and there is no longer a depot, post office, or doctor, the church has moved forward in a mighty way.
    In 1955, a parsonage was constructed on the church property.  While John Griggs was pastor a brick educational building was erected.  In spite of the many memories, it was decided on March 22, 1967 to erect a new brick sanctuary and tear down the old white frame structure.  To give the pastor's family more room and to enhance the beauty of the church property it was voted in September 1972 to enlarge the parsonage at the cost of over $8,000.

Pastors after 1900:

C. S. Trueman 1902-1907 E. W. Coakley 1921-1933
William Vaughn 1907-1908 T. R. Allen 1933-1934
H. C. Hopewell 1908-1909 W. E. Powell 1934-1945
C. E. Hutchinson 1909-1910 J. H. Lyon 1946-1948
E. J. Weller 1910-1911 Harold Waitman 1948-1951
W. R. Goodman 1911-1912 James R. Russ 1952-1954
A. F. Gordon 1912-1913 S. E. Smotherman 1954-1958
E. W. Barnett 1913-1914 John Griggs 1959-1962
E. W. Moss 1914-1915 Albert P. Evans, Jr. 1963-1965
C. F. Adams 1915-1916 John Sanderson 1965-1968
H. O. Niceley 1916-1918 Ralph E. Williams, Jr. 1969-

Chapel Hill United Methodist Church

Chapel Hill United Methodist Church is located in the southeast corner of Christian County in the Barker’s Mill Community. Reverend Josiah Carneal (1810—1896), donating the land for the church, was instrumental in building it around 1856, and was its first preacher. It was a one-room cabin with a large fireplace, and was used during the week as a school. He also gave land for a cemetery adjoining the church property.
Earliest circuit-riding ministers were Joseph C. Gwyn, John F. Hughes, and J.C. Brandon, in 1857. Official records begin in 1875 and list William Alexander, Trenton charge, with three churches: Chapel Hill (largest), Trenton, and Salubria. Chapel Hill had 16 members of which several current members are descendants. They were as follows:

Josiah Carneal, L.E. R.J. Crutchfield
Lucy McQuary Carneal Eliza Crutchfield
Willian Mordecai Cloud Isaiah Carneal
Mary Louisa Cloud Huldah Carneal
John W. Barker Wesley Carneal
Fannie Barker Demetrius S. Carneal
John C. Catlett Fannie Carneal
W.C. Oliver Paul Carneal

The present building was constructed about 1882. Through the years Chapel Hill has cooperated with other churches on its charge, first Trenton, now Pembroke, sharing preacher and parsonage expense, while always filling a need in its neighborhood. It has had 57 conference-appointed ministers and approximately 480 members since 1857. The church is currently proud to have Reverend Harold Sharber as minister.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

Christian Heights Methodist Church
Christian Heights United Methodist Church Website

When Rev. Marvin Whitmer was pastor of First United Methodist Church, Hopkinsville he led the District Board of Church Extension in making a survey in this section of Hopkinsville for the purpose of establishing a third Methodist Church, in Hopkinsville. After the survey, it was decided to build another Methodist Church.
Across North Drive from the Community College, Mr. & Mrs. Emmett Hayden had some property. They were willing to sell three acres to the District Board and they would give two more acres. So the deal was made. At a later date, the District Board swapped the Hayden’s acres to Waldo Adams and received $1,000.00 in exchange. This exchange was agreeable with the Haydens.
At the Annual Conference in 1964, Rev. Jack Baird was assigned to this property to start a church. The District Board rented the old 41 Inn, a rock building on North 41, to hold worship services. Bro. Jack held a few services there. Rev. Cole, of Pleasant Hill, died so the District Superintendent asked Bro. Baird to fill in there.
Rev. Gilbert Robertson, the District Supt. of the Hopkinsville District, asked Rev. Fred M. Glover, who bad retired, to organize the Methodist Church, on North Drive. Rev. Glover accepted the challenge.
Bra. Fred, as he is called, had his first service on the first Sunday of November 1964 with 22 people present. On the following Sunday, a Sunday School was organized with 28 people along with the following officers: adult class, Mrs. Fred M. Glover, teacher; youth class, Mrs. Don Holland; primary class, Mrs. Carol Atwood; beginner class, Mrs. Freida Cornelius; Sunday School secretary, Mrs. Paul Boyd and Superintendent, Frank McCargo.
Very soon after Rev. Glover became pastor of this new congregation, plans were being made to raise funds for a new building. Many people responded making contributions to the building fund. Sr. John Methodist and First Methodist were very responsive.
The Church began to have barbecue suppers real often. The general public was real responsive to the suppers. There were tines they would have three and four hundred people to buy the suppers. Bro. and Mrs. Glover would mingle with the crowd each time. Very frequently when people would leave they would shake hands with Bro. Glover and leave some paper money or check in his band.
When Rev. Don Benningfield was assigned to Christian Heights in 1967, there was $18,000.00 in the building fund.
On February 21, 1965, at the morning worship service, Rev. Gillen Robertson organized the new church. The congregation voted to name the new church, CHRISTIAN HEIGHTS UNITED METHODIST CHURCH.
The first official board was elected that day. They were Don Holland, Bob Futrell, Frank McCargo, Paul Goodwin, Bill Atwood, Charles Young, Carol Atwood, Lynn Smith, Bob Smith, Arnold Cornelius, James Sivells, Johnson Sadler, and Dot McCargo. Thirty people joined the church the day it was organized.
During the month of April 1965, the first “Woman’s Society of Christian Service” was organized by Mrs. Don Holland.
Rev. Don Benningfield was pastor from 1967-1971.
The new building was erected in 1968 under the leadership of Bro. Don. The first service was held in the new church in late 1968. The new building bad cost $57,000.00.
As soon as Rev. Clover agreed to organize the church, his wife had teamed up with him in his work. They worked side by side. Together they made many, many house calls, talking to people about Christian Heights United Methodist Church.
Mrs. Belva Nichols and Mrs. Reba Sisk from St. John Methodist Church agreed to assist Christian Heights with the music. They are still active in the church with Belva playing the organ and Reba playing the piano.
The first choir for Christian Heights was organized August 16, 1967, by Rev. Don Benningifeld. He directed the choir for some time. Then Miss Loudean Campbell became choir director. She is the choir director at the present time.
The first Methodist Men’s Club for Christian Heights was organized August 20, 1967, by Don Benningifeld.
First children’s choir was organized by Miss Loudean Campbell, on January 17, 1970. Brenda Nell Futrell, the daughter of Bob and Nell Futrell, was the first infant to be baptized in the new sanctuary by Rev. Don Benningifeld and Rev. Fred M. Glover.
Rev. Dee Woodruff was pastor of Christian Heights from 1971.73. The first Easter Sunrise service was organized by Patsy Willis with Rev. Dee Woodruff speaking, in 1972. A breakfast was held in the basement with 75 people present.
Rev. David Westerfield was the minister of Christian Heights from 1973-77. His wife, Jeanette, was a great musician. They had many musical programs. The first Christmon Tree was led by Bro. Dave. Church members made Christian symbols to bang on the tree. Jeanette, along with other members, made paraments for the pulpit stand and communion table.
Rev. Clifford Sparks began a four year ministry at Christian Heights from 1977-81. Clifford and Betty led our congregation in a fine way. Bro. Sparks led an excellent service dedicating a bronze plaque in honor of Mrs. Lillian Glover who had recently died. Bro. Cliff’s good mornings when he entered the pulpit will be long remembered. The congregation responded in a good way saying, “Good Morning, Bro. Cliff.” Bro. Cliff also sponsored church picnics at the lake and worship services were very effective.
Some highlights under Rev. William Whitsell, which be-gas in 1981, were building of a brick parsonage next to the church at a cost of $58,500.00 in 1985, burning of the mortgage of the church debt, twelve new tables for Glover Hall, new church sign erected in front of church, and a day care service. Bin. Bill has received 37 members into the church. Submitted by Rev. Fred Glover.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

Christian Science Society

Christian Science got its beginning in Hopkinsville in 1915. At that time, all informal group of Christian Scientists held services in the old Pennyrile Apartments building at the corner of Main and 11th Streets, present site of First Federal Savings and Loan. After holding services for fifteen years, this group disbanded.
Christian Science services were started again in 1939 in the house of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Herfurth, 2303 S. Main Street.
In 1965, a dwelling was purchased at 404 Henderson Drive in Hopkinsville. After necessary remodeling, the first services were held in this building on November 7, 1965. This organization was called Christian Science Reading Group of Hopkinsville.
On March 31, 1966, the group was recognized as Christian Science Society by the Mother Church, the First Church of Christ, Scientist, Boston, Mass. The present church was dedicated on Sunday, May 4,1969.
In addition to the church, the Society maintains a Christian Science Reading Room, located at 1100 S. Main Street, in downtown Hopkinsville.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

Church of God of Prophecy

The Church of God of Prophecy located at 3620 Madisonville Road, Hopkinsville, Kentucky, began its active work on July 28, 1953, starting with a “Tent Revival” on Madisonville Road and then the congregation temporarily moved into a vacant store building belonging to Alford and Lossie Gentry. The Church had thirteen members at this time. Land was donated at the present site of the church in January, 1954, and the present building was built by members and friends of the Church.
The first pastor was the Rev. Fred P. Bird, Sr., and the church was later named “Bird’s Chapel” in his memory. Rev. Bird moved his family to Hopkinsville from Elizabethtown, Kentucky, to get the Church in operation and he lived in this community until his death on June 23, 1967.
There have been several ministers who have had the privilege of pastoring the Church during its thirty-three years here at Hopkinsville. Our present pastor is the Rev. Philip Willingham. He, his wife, Rhonda and their two children originally came from Birmingham, Alabama.
Mrs. Alford (Lossie) Gentry was the first Secretary and Treasurer of the Church and she served in this capacity for twenty-seven years.
The Church now has a membership of fifty, three of whom are of the original 13 members, namely, Mrs. Lossie Gentry, Fred P. Bird, Jr., and Mary Jo Hagan.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

Concord Baptist Church
    On the 12th day of September 1842, a Concord Baptist Church was constituted.  According to the record, meetings were held as follows:  The 4th Saturday and Lord’s day was appointed as days as the days of monthly meetings.  Rev. Nicholas Lacy was selected as pastor;  H. R. McColloch and G. B.Atkins were elected deacons;  and H. B. Frayser was appointed to serve as clerk.
     As they had no permanent meeting place at that time the church held services at the home of A. Younglove except during the month of October “owing to the absence of the pastor”.
 Between 1843 and 1844 the first church building was constructed near the present site of Lake Tandy.  At the monthly meeting the trustees presented a deed signed by L. Youngs “for the one and one quarter acres of land to build a house of worship”.
     J. A. Holland was called as pastor and served for ten year.  In 1858, C. Meacham was “made pastor, serving for only one year”.  M. G. Alexander served as pastor for only a few months during 1859 before resigning.  J. A. Holland returned again in 1860 and served until 1866.  L. C. Tichner was called for one year.  In 1867, James T. Barrow became pastor and served until 1884.  While he was pastor a new church was constructed (about 1877) on “a two acre lot donated by F. G. Davis and wife”.  Dedication services were conducted by A. B. Cobanis and J. W. Rust.
     A new sanctuary was completed at the same location in 1966.  Since that time new office space, classrooms, recreation area, and a custodians residence have been built.
     From 1884 to the present the following pastors have served the church:

A. Malone 1884 W. E. Powell 1934
W. H. Hall 1888 J. L. Parker 1935 - 1939
P. E. Herndon 1891 Wheeler Thompson 1940 - 1942
James Coleman 1898 James Boyd 1943
B. F. Hyde 1901 W. W. Rhody 1944-1945, 1946
J. P. Clerenger 1905 W. E. Powell 1947 - 1956
E. N. Moss 1913 William H. Reed 1957 - 1958
E. O. Cottrell 1919 Owen Herndon 1959 - 1965
T. T. Powell 1922 - 1924 Aubrey Wood 1966-
W. E. Powell 1925 - 1927
J. J. Thomas 1928 - 1933

Consolation Universalist Church
(Source:  History of Christian County, Perrin, 1884)

The following sketch was written for this work by E. Renshaw.
About seventy-five years ago there came into this neighborhood a traveling preacher by the name of William Lowe, whose home was then in Simpson County, KY.  This preacher happened to call at the house of James E. Clark, who was then residing  in the vicinity where Consolation Church was afterward established, and in conversation the preacher soon discovered the fact that the religious views of Mr. Clark were exactly in unison with his own.  The neighbors were soon notified that a new preacher would preach the following evening at Mr. Clarks house, and it is said that a large congregation, for that day and time, assembled, and the doctrine promulgated by the new preacher was generally accepted and believed by the hearers.  The preacher was requested to leave another appointment, which he readily agreed to.  This appointment I am informed embraced the third Sunday in May, 1819, when a church organization was regularly established.

The first person who joined was James C. Clark, the next was Hannah, his wife; then Anna Clark, wife of Lemuel Clark, also John Keys and Ursula, his wife; Samuel Underwood and Tabitha, his wife; Thomas Fruit and wife, William Henderson, T. B Pool, Jonathan Clark, David T. Jones and others.   As the early records of the church have been lost, I only write from memory and the best information I can get.

The preacher agreed to visit the church the third Sunday in every month, which promise he faithfully kept for more than fifteen years, and under his ministration the church continued to grow and prosper.  The old man finally wore out, sickened and died.  To say that Father Lowe was a good man is not saying enough; he was a righteous man and a Christian in every sense of the word.  "Blessed are they that die in the Lord, for their good works do follow them," and here I must mention one little incident in his life:  Once when he was down here preaching he was riding a horse that did not exactly suit him, and old brother Thomas Fruit told him that he would swap with him, and let him have a horse that would suit him better.  The trade was consummated by Fruit giving Lowe $10 to boot, and when he (Lowe) came back he went to Fruit and said: "Brother Fruit, I am not satisfied with my horse swap with you." Fruit asked what was the matter.  Lowe said "I have got a horse that suits me better than the one did that I let you have, and now this $10 bill is not mine, and you must take it back."  Whereupon Fruit remonstrated and told him it was fair trading.  Lowe said "Take it; my conscience will condemn me if I keep it."

Then it was that Joab Clark, being deeply imbued with the doctrine of God's imparted grace, took upon himself the cross and became a preacher of the doctrine of universal salvation.  The people in the neighborhood of all sects and denomination turned out in mass and built a log meeting house, 24 X 28 feet.  This was about forty-nine or fifty years ago, and after some little parley about a name it was agreed to call it Consolation.  It is situated about thirteen miles northwest from Hopkinsville, immediately on the Buttermilk Road.  At this house Joab Clark continued to preach for about forty-eight years, and never would accept one cent for his services.

During this long period we were frequently visited and had the services of the following preachers:  L. T. Brasher, W. G. Bobbitt, T. B. Pool, William Curry, Stellyard Scott, D. M. Wooldridge, Thomas Abbott, J. E. McCord, Dr. Medley, W. E. McCord, L. F. Andrews, G. W. Burruss, L. M. Pope, and Marcus Scott.  The church, however, is now in rather a forlorn condition.  Since the death of the Rev. Joab Clark was have had no regular preaching.  Consequently a great many of the members have  become cold, careless or lukewarm; some have died, others have moved off, speculation and the hope of worldly gain has seized others.

Crofton Baptist Church
    The Crofton Baptist Church was organized in 1850 by a few charter members who met at the modest log home of Matthew Armstrong and organized what was then called the Liberty Baptist Church.  Among the charter members recalled from the imperfect records were:  Matthew Armstrong and Annie Armstrong, his wife;  Mrs. Mary Redding Long;  Jesse Ford and Frankie Ford, his wife.  There were a few others, but their names have been lost.  Rev. Holly was the minister who presided at the organization.
     After meeting for some time at the Armstrong home, the little church moved to a log structure about one mile west of Crofton at a place known as Molly Long Spring.  This building belonged to another denomination, “but in those days there were few differences among Christians” and the North Liberty church was used by at least two different church groups.  The records are in fact mostly missing for the first 40 years, however, we do know that the church building and a three acre tract was soon owned by the Baptist.
     Late in 1884, there was a division in the church.  Some of the members broke away and started a church about a mile back of what is now West Grove Baptist Church.  This church was called West Liberty.  The other group moved to Crofton and started a church there, calling theirs North Liberty.
     When the town of Crofton began to assume importance, after the coming of the railroad, the three leading denominations acted jointly and erected a house of worship in Crofton "to be used by the Baptist, Methodist, and Christian Churches on different Sabbaths".
    By 1885, the Baptist had become strong enough to build a house of their own.  It is recalled that: "North Liberty Church was a wood frame building facing the railroad;  the church was surrounded by beautiful dogwood trees; in the springtime people came to worship in buggies and horse-drawn wagons and used trees as hitching posts".  This building was heated by two wood stoves.  It is said "Sometimes more smoke and soot came down than went up. . .  needless to say there was no trouble filling up the front pews during the winter time".
    Mr. John Walden organized the first Sunday School and was the first superintendent.  In 1898, while Bro. Alex McCord was pastor, services were held once a month--"Saturday night, Sunday morning and night."  For his services the minister was paid $25 a month; and from this he paid $10 to the Crofton Hotel for lodging.  Miss Gertie Keith played the old red foot-pump organ.
    In 1910, a new building was completed by Carl Hunter of Crofton.  A remodeling program wa begun in 1951, under the leadership of Bro. Porter Cole.  Sunday rooms, a vestibule, and kitchen were built. until this time all classes were held in the auditorium.  The church also went full time.
    Another updating program was undertaken in 1955--the walls were paneled; new seats and pulpit furniture were purchased; and hardwood flooring was installed.  The first parsonage was bought that year.  During 1963, a heating and cooling system was added.
    Plans for the future include a new sanctuary which is already underway (1973).
    Of the first pastors only three can be recalled:  Pete Thomas, J. U. Spurlin (grandfather of J. T. Spurlin of Pembroke), and Bro. Hyde.
    After 1889, a complete list can be given:
A. C. Dorris 1889 E. A. Meador 1929
Ben M. Bogard 1890 Jesse B. Hill 1930-1931
P. E. Herndon 1895 A. Earl Meador 1932-1942
J. H. Coleman 1897 Audrey Meacham 1943
J. A. McCord 1899 W. E. Powell 1944-1946
O. L. Weir 1901 J. J. Jenkins 1947
B. F. Hyde 1908 Olen Sisk 1948
C. S. Gregston 1908 Porter Cole 1949-1954
J. P. Cleavenger 1914 Verner Barnett 1955-1956
E. D. Maddox 1915 Earl Mitchell 1957-1962
R. W. Gentry 1918 Earl Nelson 1963
Albert Maddox 1922 Donny Mathis 1964, 1965,1966
J. H. Coleman 1923 Wayne McCorkle 1967-1970
E. W. Meadows 1927-1928 H. T. Luther 1971 - 


Crofton Christian Church

The present site of Crofton Christian Church (Disciples of’ Christ) was dedicated in May of 1889 with the original founding dating around 1852. Presently situated between Princton and Mill Streets on Old Madisonville Road, the church originated on a farm owned by Alex Brown which was located 2½ miles south of Crofton in a now defunct community known as Pleasant Grave. In the 1884 publication of “Perrin’s History of Christian County”, it seems that Mr. Brown was an Elder in a church that is probably our earliest beginnings called Hannony Grove and began with 50 members. The charter date is unknown but probably in the mid 1840’s. An unfortunate fire closed the church and failure to rebuild resulted in extinction. In 1852 the Pleasant Grove Church was constructed by Elder Brown in an attempt to re-unite the church. The building was used by many religious groups and also as a school house. For fear of becoming Baptists, the “Campbellites”, as the Christian Church was often called, decided to move to Crofton. The building on the Brown farm was sold to the school board.
In the 1800’s J.E. and Elmira Croft deeded a lot to the Trustees of the church: A.B. Croft, A.C. (Abb) Brasher, and Benton Brown. Where an old log school house once
stood, a church was constructed on foundations carved from a site near where the original building in Pleasant Grove stood. The lot being our present location today. The church was dedicated in May 1889. The original frame building is our present sanctuary.
In 1926 an entry way and classrooms were added and the building was brick veneered. An education building with nursery, kitchen, and office was added in 1961. This also provided a facilty for youth activities. The addition of a baptistery was made in 1983.
During the course of our 134 years in existence we have had 51 ministers. Including our main founding father Alex Brown who served from 1852 to 1889. On July 1, 1952 Rev. Eugene Helstern introduced full time ministry for the first time since our founding. Larry Paul Jones, our current minister, came to us in 1984.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

All rights reserved.
Return To Christian County Index