Historical Markers of
Christian County, Kentucky

From the Kentucky Historical Society

State Marker
577 Courhouse Burned  Hopkinsville, Courthouse lawn, 
618 Forrest Reconnoitered Hopkinsville Stone Company, US 41
740 U.S. Vice President S. Christian H. S., Herndon, KY 117
851 Genoa 5 mi. S. of Hopkinsville, KY 107
880 Headquarters. CSA Commander Riverside Cem., Hopkinsville, US 41
882 Union General's Grave  Riverside Cem., Hopkinsville, US 41
1041 Peace Park Hopkinsville, at park site, US 68 & 41
1042 The Trail of Tears  East 9th St. at Little River,US 41
1045 First Presbyterian Church 9th & Liberty Sts., Hopkinsville, US 41, 68, 
1179 Church Hill Grange House Church Hill, 5 mi. S. of Hopkinsville
1224 County Named, 1797 Hopkinsville, Courthouse lawn, US 41, 68,
1268 Pioneer Graveyard 1812-1858 301 W. 13th Street, Hopkinsville, 
1269 Bethel College Site of college, 15th Street, Hopkinsville
1313 Famous Prophet  Entrance to Riverside Cem., Hopkinsville, US 41
1501 Hotel Latham 7th & Virginia Sts., Hopkinsville
1625 Universalist Church 14 mi. NW of Hopkinsville, KY 109
1690  Grace Episcopal Church Liberty St., US 41 southbound, at Sixth St
1759 No-Tillage Farming Approx. 2 mi. S. of Herndon, KY 107
1910 Charles S. Morehead 1802-1868 Pioneer Cemetery., W. 13th St., Hopkinsville


(Hopkinsville, Courthouse lawn, US 41, 68, Christian Co.)

Gen. Hylan B. Lyon with 800 men invaded Ky., Dec.  1864, to enforce CSA draft law and divert USA from Nashville.  In 23 days he burned seven courthouses used by Union forces.  (See map on reverse side.) Courthouse at Hopkinsville burned Dec. 12.  All county records saved. Commandeered clothing and went on.  Returned on 16th, skirmished with US force and moved to Madisonville.

(Hopkinsville Stone Company, US 41, Christian Co.)

CSA General Nathan Bedford Forrest with 6 cavalry companies joined Gen. Charles Clark here November 15, 1861. Forrest made reconnaissance and foraging expeditions out of here. See map on other side. When on one he defeated USA forces in Battle of Sacramento on December 28. After occupation of Hopkinsville for almost three months CSA evacuated. They withdrew into Tennessee.

(S.Christian H. S., Herndon, KY 117, Christian Co.)

Adlai Ewing Stevenson, 1835-1914, one of four Kentuckians--more than any state, except New York- -who were U.S. Vice Presidents. Others were Richard M. Johnson, John C. Breckinridge and Alben W. Barkley. Stevenson, born here, moved to Illinois, 1852. Member Congress two terms. Elected Vice President with Cleveland in 1892. Bryan's running mate in 1900.

851    GENOA
(5 mi. S. of Hopkinsville, KY 107, Christian Co.)

Winston Jones Davie, 1824-87, home and burial site. Native of Christian County. He was Kentucky's first Commissioner of Agriculture, 1876-79. Appointed by Gov. James B. McCreary. Davie was an outstanding farmer, banker, legislator, and agricultural writer. Elected to Kentucky Legislature, 1850. Devoted life to improvement of agriculture and rural life.

(Riverside Cern., Hopkinsville, US 41, Christian Co.)

Nathan Bedford Forrest, stationed in Hopkinsville during winter of 1861-62, resided, with wife and daughter, in log house, the third residence south. As colonel, in command 6 companies CSA Cavalry, reconnoitered Union forces between here and the Ohio River, defeated gunboat, Conestoga, at Canton, also US force at Sacramento. Withdrew when CSA left Bowling Green.

(Rear of Marker)

Six companies CSA Cavalry under Col. Forrest were camped a mile to the north at the old fairgrounds, while reconnoitering this area in winter, 1861-62. A severe epidemic swept the camp and several hundred men died. When the city enlarged cemetery, 1887, John C. Latham, native of Hopkinsville, had bodies of 101 unknown reinterred and a large monument erected. Over.

(Riverside Cern., Hopkinsville, US 41, Christian Co.)

Brig. Gen. James S. Jackson, USA, killed in the battle of Perryville on Oct. 8, 1862, is buried in south end of cemetery. Born Woodford Co., Ky., 1823. First Lt., Mexican War, then practiced law in Greenup. He came to Hopkinsville, 1855. Elected to Congress, 1861. Authorized by Lincoln, he recruited 3rd Ky. Cav. during fall 1861. In battles, Shiloh and others, before his untimely death.

(Hopkinsville, at park site, US 68 & 41, Christian Co.)

Bequest to city of Hopkinsville with funds for beautification and maintenance by John C. Latham of New York, a native of Hopkinsville. A generous and forgiving gift. Mr. Latham was owner of a large tobacco warehouse on this site that was destroyed, when burned by Night Riders, disgruntled tobacco growers, Dec. 8, 1907. The next year death came to Mr. Latham.

(E. 9th St. at Little River, Hopkinsville, US 41, Christian Co.)

A camping ground, Oct. 1838, for a part of the Cherokee Indians who were forcibly moved from their homes in the Smoky Mountain region of N. Car. and Tenn. to Indian Terr., now Okla. Badly clothed and fed, hundreds became ill and many died, among them the aged and highly respected chiefs, Fly Smith and Whitepath. Their graves on bank of Little River.

(9th & Liberty Sts., Hopkinsville, US 41, 68, Christian Co.)

Organized in 1813, traditionally by the Reverend Gideon Blackburn, a pioneer minister and missionary to the Cherokee Indians. Present church building, not including later additions, was built during the period 1848-1852. Used as a hospital during severe epidemic that swept the camp of Confederates under Colonel Nathan Bedford Forrest through the winter of 1861-62.

(Church Hill, 5 mi. S. of Hopkinsville, Christian Co.)

Built 1878 by the Grange. Used ever since for public meetings. Kentucky's first farm cooperative, the Church Hill Grange operated a livestock market here. Leading this pioneer cooperative were two Christian County farmers, Winston J. Davie, first Ky. Commissioner of Agriculture, 1876-79, and his brother Montgomery Davie, Master of the Kentucky Grange.

1224    COUNTY NAMED, 1797
(Hopkinsville, Courthouse lawn, US 41, 68, Christian Co.)

For Col. William Christian, native Virginian, soldier, politician, and pioneer. Served as Colonel in Revolution, member Va. Legislature. Moved family to Jefferson County in 1785, where his Virginia land grants totaled 9,000 acres. Killed 1786, defending frontier against Indians. Original county, taken from Logan, included area of 16 present-day counties and parts of 4 others.

1268    PIONEER GRAVEYARD 1812-1858
(301 W. 13th Street, Hopkinsville, US 41, 68, Christian Co.)

Within this enclosure are buried 185 named persons, and many more unknown, all early settlers of Christian County. The land for this cemetery was donated in 1812 by Bartholomew Wood, the first settler in Hopkinsville. He also donated land and timber for the first public buildings, 1797. He died in 1827 and was buried here.

(Site of college, 15th Street, Hopkinsville, US 41, 68, Christian Co.)

Organized by the Bethel Baptist Association and opened in 1854 as Bethel Female High School. Used by CSA as hospital during Black Measles epidemic, 1861-1862. Bethel Women's Jr. College, 1917. Closed 1942-1945; rooms rented to Camp Campbell Army officers. Became co-educational in 1951; name changed to Bethel College. Closed, 1964. Buildings razed, 1966.

(Entrance to Riverside Gem., Hopkinsville, US 41, Christian Co.)

Edgar Cayce- -a psychic counselor and healer. Accepted nationally, he was one of the best known in this field. A humble and religious man, Cayce never profited from his predictions. Used reputed gift of extrasensory perception, including medical diagnosis, to better man's understanding of God's purpose for him here on earth. Born near here, 1877. Died, Va., 1945. Buried here.

(7th & Virginia Sts., Hopkinsville, US 41, Christian Co.)

Erected on this site, 1894, and named for Hopkinsville native and philanthropist, John C. Latham, Jr. Structure was Italian Renaissance style. It became a well-known tourist stop, social and civic center. Among its famous guests: Vice President Charles Curtis, William J. Bryan, John Philip Sousa, Ethel Barrymore, and Capt. Eddie Rickenbacker. Hotel burned, 1940.

(14 mi. NW of Hopkinsville, KY 109, Christian Co.)

Near this site, the Consolation Universalist Church was organized by a traveling preacher, William Lowe, in the home of James E. Clark in May 1819. It was the first Universalist Church organized west of Allegheny Mountains. Early ministers were L.T. Brasher, J.E. McCord, D.M. Wooldridge, W.E. McCord, Joab Clark, and L.M. Pope. Presented by the Kentucky Universalists

(Liberty St., US 41 southbound, at Sixth St., Hopkinsville, Christian Co.)

Organized in 1831 by local laymen with aid of George P. Giddinge, Md. missionary, who became first rector, and Benjamin B. Smith, later first Bishop of Ky. and Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church. First church was built ca. 1850 on Virginia St. On Oct. 10, 1875, Jefferson Davis, an Episcopalian and native of Christian Co., worshiped there. Over.

(Rear of Marker)

Present church built 1883-84. Liberal contributor was John C. Latham, Jr. Under rectors John W. Venable, 1883-94, and George C. Abbitt, 1902-29, church became center for social and cultural community activities. Parish house, a memorial to Emma Glass Gaither, built 1906. Tower destroyed in 1978 by tornado, restored in 1979. Presented by Grace Episcopal Church

(Approx. 2 mi. S. of Herndon, KY 107, Christian Co.)

First practice of no-tillage crop production in Ky. occurred on this farm in 1962. Harry and Laurence Young, of Christian Co., were among first in nation to experiment with no-tillage techniques, which use herbicides in providing seed bed in residue stubble. Conserves soil and water; saves time, labor, fuel, and often produces higher crop yields. Presented by the Du Pont Agricultural Chemicals Dept.

1910    CHARLES S. MOREHEAD 1802-1868
(Pioneer Cem., W. 13th St., Hopkinsville, Christian Co.)

This Ky. governor and congressman was born near Bardstown. A graduate of Transylvania, he began law practice in Hopkinsville. Morehead served in state legislature, as attorney general, in U.S. House of Rep., and as governor of Ky.,1855-59. During his administration, geological survey completed, state prison enlarged, and funds allotted for annual state fair. See over.

(Rear of Marker)

Hoping to avert civil war, Morehead attended Washington Peace Conf., 1861. Although neutral, he sympathized with Confederacy and criticized Lincoln's policies. Arrested by federal leaders and imprisoned for several months. Warned of another arrest, he fled to Canada, Europe, and Mexico. Died at his Mississippi plantation, 1868. Buried in Frankfort Cem.

All Rights Reserved