HISTORY OF TRIGG COUNTY
CHAPTER I. - II - III - IV - V - VI - VII - VIII - IX - X -XI - XII
CERULEAN SPRINGS AND PRECINCT
Cadiz Precinct - Canton Precinct - Ferguson Springs - Laura Furnace - Linton - Roaring Springs - Golden Pond - Rock Castle - Wallonia
CERULEAN SPRINGS PRECINCT
M. E. BAREFIELD was born in Campbell County, Ga., December 26, 1845; he is the fourteenth child in a family of fifteen children born to John and Anna (Parker) Barefield. The father was born in Georgia, and died December 27, 1888, at the advanced age of ninety-six years. The mother was born in North Carolina, and is now living in Georgia with one of her sons. Our subject enlisted, in 1863, in Company K, Thirtieth Georgia Regiment, Capt. H. B. Morris. He served until the close of the war. In 1867 he came to his present farm; his first purchase was 100 acres. By his economy, good management and industry he has increased this farm to 278 acres; his farm is well improved, with a comfortable residence, which he built at a cost of about $1,500; his other buildings cost about $300. He was married, in 1868, to Mary E. Ladd, of this county. Two Sons have blessed this marriage. Mr. Bare-field is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church.
DR. JOHN J. BLAKELEY was born March 26, 1834, in Trigg County; he is the second of a family of nine children born to William S. and Louisa (Haggard) Blakeley. The father was born in North Carolina in 1801, and died in Trigg County, Ky., in 1865; the mother was a native of Virginia, and was born in 181L They were among the earliest settlers of this county. Our subject, at about the age of thirty-three, commenced the study of medicine under the preceptorship of his brother, Dr. W. H. Blakeley; having studied four years, he went to Cincinnati and attended the Pulte Medical College, after which he went to St. Louis and attended the Hahnemann Medical College, and graduated in the class of 1872; he then returned to Trigg County, at which time his brother, Dr. Blakeley, removed to Bowling Green; he at once assumed his brother's practice, and has since been engaged in the practice of his chosen profession. He owns a farm of 125 acres, where he now resides, and is also engaged in agriculture. He was married in June, 1858, to Almira E. Blakeley, a native of Trigg County. Four children have blessed this union-two sons and two daughters. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, also a member of the Baptist Church.
C. M. COX was born February 2, 1855, in Cerulean Springs Precinct: Trigg County. He is a son of C. M. R. and Nancy C. (Moore) Cox, both natives of Mecklenburg County, Va. The father was born March 18, 1818; at the age of seventeen he started on foot for Kentucky, with $20 in his pocket. Trigg County was his first stopping place; here he remained three years, when he returned to his native State and county, and was married in 1838, after which he returned to Trigg County, and bought a farm of 100 acres, which he afterward sold. After serving as overseer for four years he bought his present farm of 100 acres. Our subject also owns 100 acres which he cultivates in connection with his father's. He has recently completed a comfortable house at a cost of about $1,400, also a barn at a cost of $250. Mr. C. M. Cox was married in 1872 to Miss Frances Ladd, of Trigg County. Their union has been blessed with three children-one son and two daughters. His uncle, Lanson Cox, is still carrying on his farm in Mecklenburg County, Va., at the advanced age of ninety-one years.
A. B. CULLOM, M. D., was born in Davidson County, Tenn., July 16, 1839. His parents were Jesse P. and Susan A. (Hooper) Cullom, the former born in same county and State in 1815, and died March 28, 1851, in Lexington, Mo. The mother was born in Dixon County, Tenn., August 29, 1815, and is now living with her son, Dr. Cullom, who at the age of sixteen commenced the watch-making trade, which he followed five years. He enlisted in 1861 in Capt. Crenshaw's company, under Gen. Price. of Missouri. He served until the close of the war. Soon after enlistment he was commissioned First Lieutenant and participated in the battles of Carthage, Springfield and Pea Ridge. He was then detailed on scout duty in which he continued until the close of the war, when he returned to Nashville and followed his former trade one year. He then secured a position as clerk in the dry goods store of J. M. Hooper, where he continued one year, after which he took up the study of medicine under the preceptorship of Dr. J. P. Cullom. He remained with the Doctor three years. He then attended the Medical Department of the Nashville University and graduated in the class of 1870. He then moved to Calloway County and commenced the practice of medicine. In 1879 he moved to Cerulean Springs, where he has since been engaged in the practice of his profession with good success. He was married November 9, 1876, to Miss S. A. Brown, of Calloway County, Ky. Three children have blessed this union. The Doctor is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Blue Lodge, and Chapter at Murray, Ky.; also is a member of the Baptist Church, and has been Superintendent of the Sunday-school of that place since his arrival here in 1879.
DR. B. F. FELIX was born in Wayne County, III., November 29, 1844. His parents are D. K. and Susan Ann (Mansfield) Felix; the father is a native of Ohio County, Ky., and now lives on his farm in Wayne County, Ill. The mother was born in Logan County, Ky. Our subject was reared on his father's farm, and attended the district schools of the county. In 1876 he commenced the study of' medicine; two years he continued under the preceptorship of Dr. P. J. Puckett, of White County, Ill. He then attended the Pulte Medical College at Cincinnati, during the fall and winter of 1877 and 1878, and after leaving college moved to Stewart County, Tenn., where he practiced but a short time, then went to Elkton in Todd County, Ky., and entered into practice with Dr. C. T. Lewis, continuing about six months. March 5, 1879, he came to Cerulean Springs, where he has since been engaged in the practice of his chosen profession. He was married October 5, 1864, to Miss Olive Butler, a native of Wayne County, Ill. She was born September 21, 1848, and died May 17, 1877, leaving three daughters. His second marriage occurred December 11, 1879, to Miss Jennie Hester, a native of Caldwell County, Ky. They are members of the Missionary Baptist Church.
W. S. GOODWIN was born on this farm July 18, 1823; he is the fifth child of a family of six born to Samuel and Mary (Griffith) Goodwin. The father was born in South Carolina September 2, 1785; when a child, Jesse Goodwin, his father, moved to Nashville, Tenn., and after raising one crop removed to Christian, now Trigg County, Ky., and located near Cerulean Springs-the Goodwin family being the earliest settlers of the county. This farm, now owned by subject, was deeded to his father, Samuel, by his grandfather in 1804; here he continued to reside till his death, which occurred December 5, 1862, at the age of seventy-eight. This farm now consists of 200 acres and is very pleasantly situated about one mile from Cerulean Springs. Mr. W.. S. Goodwin was married, May 4, 1848, to Miss Martha Wilson. She was born in Caldwell County, June 3, 1823, and reared in Trigg County. This marriage was blessed with nine children ; six are now living-three sons and three daughters. Mr. Goodwin was Deputy Sheriff from 1844 to 1848 he is also a member of the Masonic fraternity, and he, with Mrs. Goodwin, are life-long and devoted members of the Baptist Church. The land where the Baptist Church now stands was deeded to this denomination by Jesse Goodwin, and is the oldest church in this part of the State.
B. F. GOODWIN was born September 8, 1850, in Trigg County; he is a son of Robert S. and Nancy (Blakely) Goodwin. The father was born March 29, 1811, in Christian, now Trigg County, and is a son of Samuel and Sarah (Brown) Goodwin. They emigrated from North Carolina to Nashville, Tenn., in 1782; then soon after removed to what is now Trigg County, and were the earliest settlers of the county. Samuel Goodwin died here, July 26, 1844, in his seventy-eighth year; his wife died in February, 1842, aged sixty-seven. Robert S. Goodwin now resides on and owns part of the land which was entered by his father, and for which he holds a patent from the United States. Our subject received his early education at the subscription schools of this locality, after which he went to Cadiz and continued his studies under Prof. Wayland; be then secured a position as clerk for G. W. Lindsey, where he remained six years; and later with G. T. McCain, with whom he clerked two years. In 1882, he, with J. T. Harper, opened a general store at Cerulean Springs, and is doing a business of about $10,000 a year. Mr. Goodwin is Postmaster at this point, having been appointed in January, 1882.
J. T. HARPER was born July 7, 1831, in Pittsylvania County, Va.; his parents were L. B. and Lucy (Stamps) Harper. The father was a native of South Carolina, and died in Trigg County in 1859; the mother was born in Pittsylvania County, Va., and died in this county in 1855, at the age of sixty-two years. Our subject, in 1848, came with his parents to Trigg County and engaged in farming; in 1860 he settled on a farm of 420 acres in Cadiz Precinct, which he has since owned and improved. He recently bought the Cerulean Springs Hotel and grounds, where he now acts as "mine host." A notice of these springs will be found in the general history of Cerulean Springs, in this work. He owns, in company with Mr. .1. F. White, 140 acres adjoining the Springs. Mr. Harper is also engaged in general merchandising with Mr. B. F. Goodwin, at Cerulean Springs. In 1857 he married Miss Eliza, daughter of John F. White, who is well and favorably known. To them were born two children-a son and daughter. The parents are life-long members of the Baptist Church. Mr. Harper is a member of the K. of H.
WILLIAM B. LADD was born August 11, 1830, in Trigg County, Ky.; he is the seventh child in a family of eight children born to John and Mary (Jones) Ladd. The father was born in North Carolina in 1793, and died in Trigg County in 1868. The mother was born in South Carolina, and died December 10, 1880, at the advanced age of ninety-three years. In 1852 subject bought 100 acres of land where his residence now stands. He has since increased this farm until he now owns 360 acres; he has cleared about 16C acres of this farm; in 1878 he built his present residence, which is one of the finest in the precinct, at a cost of about $2,000; he has placed other buildings on the farm at a cost of about $800; he has a nice farm, and is numbered among the most industrious and worthy men of his precinct; he also owns a farm of 123 acres of well-improved land in Caldwell County, which is now rented. He was married, in 1852 to Mary Dyer, a native of Trigg County; these parents have seven children-five sons and two daughters. The parents and six of the children are members of the Baptist Church.
ELIJAH LADD was born on the farm where he now resides March 10, 1857; he is the eldest child and only son in a family of four children born to W. H. and Jernima (Guthrie) Ladd; the parents are both natives of this county; the father was born on this farm in 1826; he died here in 1881; the mother was born in 1827, and now resides on the home farm. Our subject owns 360 acres of land which was formerly a part of his father's farm; about 200 acres of his land is well improved. He was married, March 8, 1883, to Miss Celia Mitchell, a native of Trigg County, Ky.
WILLIAM D. LANDER (deceased) was born December 13, 1818, in Christian County, Ky.; his death occurred November 5, 1878, at Cerulean Springs; he went to Graves County, Ky., in 1858; two years later he moved to Trigg County; in 1862 he located on this farm consisting of about 400 acres; he was largely engaged in buying and shipping live stock, in which business and farming he was eminently successful; he was landlord of the Cerulean Springs at the time of his death. His marriage occurred November 5, 1843, to Annie W., daughter of Robert and Dicey (Baker) Rogers. Mr. Rogers was born in Virginia, and died in 1852, aged fifty-four years; Mrs. Rogers was born in Caldwell County, Ky., and died in 1850, aged fifty-two. Our subject has two children-Julia P. (now Mrs. John D. Gardner) and Robert Short (now in the livery business in Eddyville).
W. F. READ was born in Caldwell County, Ky., June 30, 1849; his parents are James and Frances (Headapeth) Read, both natives of Taylor County, Ky. The former was born in 1830, the latter in 1832. Subject was brought up on his father's farm, where he received an education from subscription schools. In October, 1882, he opened a store at Friendship, Caldwell County, and continued it about a year, when he moved to Cerulean Springs, where he keeps a store and carries a stock of about $3,000, and is doing a fair and increasing business. He was married in 1870 to Miss Jennie Goodwin, a native of Trigg County. This union has been blessed with five children: Edgar L., born October 22, 1871; James G., March 13, 1873; Viola, September 23, 1876; Neville, September 3, 1878; Blanche, August 17, 1881.
JOHN H. ROGERS was born in Trigg County, May 21, 1823; he is the eldest of four children born to Robert and Nancy (Baker) Rogers. The father was born in 1798 in Virginia, and died in Christian County, Ky., in 1852. The mother was born in 1802, in Caldwell County, Ky.; she died in Christian County in 1854. Our subject was reared on his father's farm, and at the age of twenty-three rented a farm in Christian County where he remained three years. After the death of his father he bought out the heirs and took possession of the farm, where he remained four years. He then moved to Graves County, Ky., and remained five years. In 1863 he removed to Trigg County and lived on a rented farm near the Springs one year. He then returned to Christian County and farmed there two years. In 1881 he came to his present farm of 125 acres, which he rents. He was married January 1, 1846, to Elizabeth H. Hicks, a native of Springfield, Robinson Co., Term. This lady died May 22, 1875, aged forty-six years. Ten children (five boys and five girls) have blessed this union. Mr. Rogers is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
HEZEKIAH SMITH was born September 19, 1830, in Hopkins County, Ky. His parents were Austin P. and Myra (Sisk) Smith, both natives of North Carolina; the former died in 1875, at the age of seventy. six years; the latter was born in May, 1801, and died in Hopkins County, Ky., in 1866. Hezekiah was reared on his father's farm, where he remained until 1852, when he bought a farm of 115 acres in Hopkins County where he resided until 1869, when he sold his farm and moved to his present location; he owns 165 acres 110 of which are improved. For the past twenty years he has been engaged in preaching for the Baptist Church, and for the past fourteen years has had charge of the church at Muddy Fork, of the same denomination. He was married in 1854 to Dorcas Stanley of Hopkins County, Ky. Mr. and Mrs. Smith had ten children, eight of whom are living. Their son, Eden H., died in August, 1883, at the age of twenty-four; he had recently graduated with distinguished honors from the Jefferson Medical College, and was about entering upon the duties of his chosen profession, with bright prospects, when death, who "always likes a shining mark," claimed him as a victim.
J. F. SMITH was born July 12, 1832, in Williamson County, Term. His parents are B. and Rebecca (Boyd) Smith; they were born in east Tennessee; the former in 1802, the latter in 1798; she died in Christian County March 8, 1882. In December, 1859, our subject came to Christian County and lived on a leased farm there for ten years. In 1869 he moved to Trigg County and rented a farm from Mrs. West for two years. In 1871 he purchased 129 acres where be now lives; he has since increased this farm to 195 acres, about 115 of which he has cleared. On his coming here he found it a dense wood. Mr. Smith was married January 8, 1857, to Miss Martha E. McPeak, who was born in Bedford County, Term. To them were born twelve children, of whom six daughters and four sons are living. Mr. S. is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
ANDERSON STEWART was born September 8, 1837, in Trigg County, Ky. He is the eighth in a family of nine children born to James and Jemima (Good) Stewart. The father was born in Virginia, September 30, 1799, and died February 2, 1872. The mother was born in Virginia, January 2, 1800, and died October 4, 1876. She is the daughter of John S. Wood. James Stewart came with his family to Trigg County in 1822. Anderson Stewart was married December 27, 1859, to Lucy Wood, a native of Georgia. These parents have two sons and two daughters. After marriage Mr. Stewart worked on a farm, receiving part of the crop as his compensation. He then lived on a rented farm for three years. In 1864 he removed to his present farm consisting of 274 acres and is known as the "Wiley Wilson" farm. Mr. Stewart is a self-made man, having no advantages in early life for education. He began without means, but by his industry and close attention to duty, has placed himself in very comfortable circumstances, and is one of the leading farmers in the community where he lives. His residence is one of the finest of his neighborhood, and his farm is well stocked; his out-buildings are commodious and well arranged; his farm is located one and a half miles from Cerulean Springs.
T. R. STEWART was born September 8, 1845, in Trigg County. He is a son of Johnson and Susan (Good) Stewart, both natives of Virginia. In July, 1824, they moved to Christian County, remained there but one year, then came to Trigg County, where the father died in April, 1883, at the advanced age of eighty years. The mother is now living with her son Mitchell in Cerulean Springs Precinct. Our subject owns an interest in 150 acres of land; part is included in the John McGhee farm where he now resides; also part of the old homesteadformerly owned by his father. Mr. Stewart was married, in 1878, to Eliza J. Warren, a native of Christian County. These parents have three children-two sons and one daughter. Mr. Stewart has also one son by a former marriage. Mr. Stewart is a member of the Baptist Church.
ROBERT R. TURNER was born in Christian (now Trigg) County, Ky., February 8, 1812, and died August 9, 1884; he was the second child in a family of eleven, born to James W. and Jane (Rogers) Turner. The father was born in South Carolina. Our subject's grandfather and two uncles served the in Revolutionary War. James W. emigrated to Christian County from South Carolina about the year 1808, and located about one and one-half miles from Cerulean Springs, on a farm, where be died in 1856, at the age of seventy-seven years. His wife was born in Virginia. She died in 1864, aged seventy-two. Our subject was married, in 1834, to Leah Goodwin. She was born on this farm in 1809, and is a daughter of the late John Goodwin of this county. Our subject has nine children, six of whom are now living. His son, Robert P., enlisted in the late war, and died in the hospital at Hopkinsville soon after enlistment. John J. served throughout the war. David R. enlisted and served about seven weeks, when he was discharged on account of physical disability. Mr. Turner held the office of Magistrate continuously for forty years. His continuous re-election evinced the high esteem in which his services were held by his constituency; his term expired June, 1883, when he positively declined a re-election. He was a life-long and devoted member of the Baptist Church.*- County of Trigg Kentucky , HISTORICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL - EDITED BY WILLIAM HENRY PERRIN - ILLUSTRATED. - F.A. BATTEY PUBLISHING CO. 1884.
Return to the main page of the History of Trigg County
Return to the Trigg KyGenWeb Home Page COPYRIGHT NOTICE:
In keeping with the Internet philosophy of providing free genealogical information, this data may be freely used for personal research and by non-commercial entities as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages may not be reproduced in any format or presentation by other organizations or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for profit or any form of presentation, must obtain the written consent of the file submitter, or his legal representative and then contact the listed above with proof of this consent.