Lower Donalson School


John Bridges, Bob Thomas
and maybe Henry Cullen Thomas

The first log school house was established in 1881 on property bought from Peyton Thomas. The new school at Lower Donaldson was constructed in 1913, after the old log building burned. At times there were as many as sixty or seventy students. There were many prominent teachers; some of them were Lynn Boyd, Therman Mitchell, Mavis Wolfe, Gertrude Compton, Maude Crute, Cora Hayes, Ruth Wallis, Myra Witty, Hilda Bridges, Julia Bridges and Jewel Futrell. Lower Donaldson School was sold to the U.S.Corps of Engineers in 1962. Mavis Wolfe, a former teacher of Donaldson, suspected that the boys had a smokehouse under the bridge, so she surprised them one day by going under the bridge and saying, "The creek has already burned up, so come on in." Echoes IV

Return to the Trigg County KyGenWeb Home Page