Ephram D Osborn Abt 1905

My great grandfather, "E.D. Osburn - 68" in the 1912 Cadiz Co CSA Memorial dedication picture, apparently with Co B, 8th KY Regiment.  His headstone in the Canton cemetery is no longer there (seem to remember a picture of a short obelisk with Co B, 3rd? KY -- but must have been the 8th and that's gone now too).  The online burials list:

Yates Cemetery, Trigg, KY Headstone:  Ephraim D. OSBURN, May 4, 1844 - Sept. 5, 1913 (Co. B, 8th KY Regt.) [C.S.A.].

The History of Trigg County, Historical and Biographical, ed. W.H. Perrin,
F.A. Battey Pub. Co., Chicago, 1884. Page 260.  [Rock Castle Precinct]
[Copied from http://www.starbase21.com/kybiog/trigg/osburn.ed.txt (KY Biography Project)] lists:

EPHRAIM D. OSBURN, farmer, was born in Trigg County, Ky., May 4, 1842, and
is a son of Miles and Margaret (Sanders) Osburn, the former a native of
Mississippi, the latter a native of Kentucky, of English descent,
respectively.  Miles Osburn came to Kentucky when quite young; was reared
by his half-brother, and remained with him till [sic] he was married; he
then settled in Rock Castle Precinct, and followed farming; he remained
there till [sic] the fall of 1883, when he sold out and moved to Illinois,
where he now resides; he is a member of the church, and one of the leading
citizens of Trigg County.  Ephraim D. Osburn remained with his parents
until January 16, 1864, when he was married to Sarah E. Luttrell, a native
of Kentucky.  Nine children blessed their union, of whom five sons and one
daughter are living.  At about the age of eighteen Mr. Osburn learned the
carpenter trade, and follows it in connection with farming, his principal
occupation.  In 1862 he enlisted in the Eighth Kentucky Regiment, Company
B, and served three years. 
Mr. Osburn is a firm believer in the doctrine
of the Baptist Church; he owns a farm in Rock Castle Precinct, and is one
of the representative men in the county.  Politically he is a Democrat.

Companies B and D, Eighth Regiment Kentucky Infantry. About the beginning of September, 1861, two other Confederate companies were organized in the county, one at Noah's Spring, Montgomery Co., Tenn., under the following officers: A. C. Buckner, Captain; William Henry, First Lieutenant; Preston H. Davis, Second Lieutenant; F. G. Terry, Third Lieutenant, and numbering eighty-five men, rank and file; the other at Wallonia, under Jabez Bingham, Captain; J. S. Wall, First Lieutenant; E. S. Pool, Second Lieutenant; and William Miller, Third Lieutenant, and numbering 104 men. After remaining at Noah's Spring some two weeks the one under Buckner moved to Hopkinsville and went into camp at the fair grounds, where they were assigned to the Eighth Regiment of Kentucky Infantry as Company D. The other company remained at Wallonia till about the 23d of October, when they also moved to Hopkinsville and joined the Eighth Regiment as Company B.

Shortly after the arrival of these two companies the Eighth was reorganized with Henry C. Burnett as Colonel, Reuben Ross Lieutenant-Colonel, and First Lieutenant William Henry of Company D promoted to Major. On the promotion of Henry, Lieutenants Davis and Terry were promoted in turn, and George Wilford elected Brevet Second Lieutenant. Another change in the regiment took place in a short while. Lieut.-Col. Rosa resigned and H. P. Lyon was promoted from Captain of Artillery to fill the vacancy. He joined the regiment at Providence, Tenn., January, 1862, while en route for Fort Donelson, where they were ordered to join the brigade under Gen. Clark. Before reaching Fort Donelson First Lieut. Wall, of Company B, died, and J. W. Brown was elected to fill the vacancy. The brigade under Clark was assigned to a position on the left of the "Winne Ferry" road, and for two days were under a heavy and galling fire from the shore batteries. On the morning of the third day, Saturday, they were sent to relieve Floyd's Brigade which had been detached and sent to another part of the field to make a flank movement. The brigade were not long in their new position before they were charged by the enemy in heavy force. Though for the first time face to face with an enemy the men deported themselves with the steadiness of veterans. The charge was gallantly repulsed, and $ countercharge made in turn in which the enemy were driven, the famous Swarta's battery captured, and a number of prisoners taken. Among others in this day's fight Lieut. Terry was wounded and sent back to the hospital at Nashville. On Sunday morning before the surrender Capt. Buckner and Lieut. Davis and some eight or ten men made their escape from the fort, and with Terry fell in with Johnston's army as they retreated through Tennessee. The rest of the command were sent to prison at Camps Morton and Chase, where they remained till the following September, when they were exchanged at Vicksburg. At Jackson, Miss., shortly after being exchanged, the Eighth was re..organized with Lyon, Colonel; A. R. Shacklett, Lieutenant-Colonel; Jabez Bingham, Major; and John Couch, Adjutant. The companies were reorganized as follows: Company D, F. G. Terry, Captain; George Wilford, First Lieutenant; Lee Turner, Second Lieutenant; W. D. Smith, Brevet Lieut3nant; and Joseph H. Mitchell, Orderly Sergeant; Company B, J. W. Brown, Captain; W. L. Dunning, First Lieutenant; J. E. Kelly, Second Lieutenant; and J. R. Gilfoy, Brevet Second Lieutenant. From Jackson the regiment was ordered to Holly Springs under Gen. Baldwin, Tilghman'e Division, to intercept Grant. Grant coming up, Tilghman retreated to Coffeeville, Miss., where he encountered and repulsed the enemy under Gen. Lee. After this the command went into winter quarters at Grenada. In the spring of 1863 they were sent to re-inforce the garrison at Fort Pemberton, at the head of the Yazoo River, where, in about a month, the enemy withdrawing, were sent to the assistance of Gen. Bowen at Grand Gulf. On the march to Grand Gulf the Eighth was assigned to Buford's Brigade of Loring's Division, and on reaching Big Black River found Gen. Bowen, who had been compelled to retreat.
Captain Terry's company were mounted at Big Black Bridge, where they had been sent to intercept the enemy's cavalry, and here, until Pemberton had gathered his forces in hand, defended this important crossing.
In the general battle which ensued at Champion Hill, the Eighth took an active part, and here Lieut. Kelly of Company B was severely wounded. Pemberton was defeated and fell back on the Big Black. The enemy pursued with vigor, and Pemberton continued his retreat to Vicksburg. At the "bridge" Col. Lyon got possession of a battery, and being an experienced artillerist succeeded in holding the Federals in check till the rest of the army were safely drawn off. This accomplished, he turned and contested the balance of the way to the works at Vicksburg. The Eighth ,remained in Vicksburg only about a week, when being mounted Col. Lyon was ordered to make his way through to Grant's rear. This perilous mission was successfully accomplished in the night, and an immediate dash made on Raymond, where a lot of disabled Federals were captured who had been wounded in a recent fight between Gens. Lew Wallace and Gregg. Lyon operated on the enemy's rear with much success till Gen. Johnston came up with his forces to relieve the siege of Vicksburg, when he reported to that officer. On the latter's advance from Jackson, the Eighth was again dismounted and assigned to Buford's Brigade. At the Big Black, news of the surrender being received, the Confederates fell back on Jackson and awaited the coming of Sherman. Here the command participated in all the engagements pending the in, vestment of the place, and after, near the "Fair Grounds," with two other regiments of the brigade, made a stand against a much larger force, that elicited the praise of the Commanding General. General Johnston, who witnessed the fight, is said to have pronounced it the most gallant and stubborn resistance he had witnessed during the war. Many of the enemy fell within ten or twenty feet of the Confederate lines. After the evacuation of Jackson, the brigade fell back with the army to Forrest's Station, where they remained inactive till September, when with Gen. Loring they moved to Canton, and afterward, in February, to Demopolis, Ala., to intercept Sherman, who was moving on Meridian. Here the three Kentucky regiments of Buford's Brigade were mounted and sent to Forrest at Gainesville, and Buford being promoted to the Second Division, Col. A. P. Thompson took command; and here, also, companies D, C, and F, were consolidated, with the following officers: J. W. Brown, Captain; Logan Field, First Lieutenant; W. L. Dunning, Second Lieutenant; - Rowland, Third Lieutenant. Capt. Terry was assigned to duty as Ordnance Officer of the brigade. Thus organized, the command moved to join the rest of Forrest's forces at Tupelo, Miss., preparatory to a raid into Kentucky and west Tennessee. On this raid, at Paducah, through some mistake Thompson made an unsupported attack upon the fort with his brigade alone. In the charge, Col. Thompson was killed by a shell, and some 100 were killed and wounded. The fatal shell also killed a horse ridden by Capt. Al. McGoodwin of the Third Kentucky, who was riding on one side of the Colonel, while the Colonel's flesh and blood were scattered over Capt. Terry, who rode on the other. The charge on the fort was repulsed, but Lieut. Logan Field, with a portion of his company, charged and took the Marine Hospital on the right, from which they fired a plunging shot into the fort, till dislodged by the enemy's gunboats. Night coming on, after supplying themselves plentifully with commissaries', quartermaster's and hospital stores, the brigade drew off with Forrest into western Kentucky. Here the Kentuckians were permitted to return to their homes to rest, recruit for a time, and afterward rendezvous at Trenton, Tenn. From this point, designing to attack Fort Pillow, Forrest, about the 10th or 12th of April, sent them to make a feint on Paducah. Arriving in front of the town, they made a dash in, capturing a few prisoners and about 100 head of horses and mules, and then rejoined Forrest at Jackson, Tenn. From here, after a short rest, Forrest moved to Tupelo, Miss., and was again about to return into Tennessee, when he learned of Sturgis' raid into that part of the State. Turning, he met him at Guntown or Bryce's Cross-Roads, and with his usual impetuosity charged at the head of his columns. Here Lyon, who had been on detached service and was promoted, returned in time to command the brigade in the fight. He was the first to strike the enemy's advance, driving them back on the main body, and holding them for six or eight hours till the other commands came up. About 1 P. M. the fight became general and the enemy gave way. Brown's company of Trigg boys had the honor of capturing a piece of artillery in their first charge; also two or three ordnance wagons, which supplied them with necessary ammunition. Capt. Terry, Acting Inspector-General on Buford's staff, and one other were the only staff officers on the field. Sturgis, driven at all points, was soon in complete rout, losing not less than 3,000 killed, wounded and captured, seventeen cannon and eighteen caissons, 450,000 rounds of cartridges, 350 wagons and ambulances, more than 1,000 horses and mules, six months' medical supplies, forty days' rations, and two wagon loads of "John Barleycorn." The latter it is supposed was carried along as a kind of "spiritual defense" against the more formidable enemy of that section-malaria.
The subsequent operations of the Eighth under Forrest in Mississippi were at Pontotoc, Old Harrisburg and Town Creek, in July. On the 4th October, 1864, they were detached and sent into west Tennessee to gather up the troops under Cal. L. A. Sypert, who had been operating in Kentucky, and was then at Paris, Tenn. After this they reported to Forrest at Mt. Pleasant, Tenn., and were permitted by him to return with Col. Lyon into southwestern Kentucky, to rest and recruit. While on this visit, Lyon made an attack on the garrison at Hopkinsville, commanded by Col. Sam Johnson, and captured, with the loss of one man killed, thirty or forty prisoners, and seventy-five or eighty horses and mules. He next attacked and captured the garrison at Eddyville, and then without interruption crossed the Cumberland above Clarksville, and rejoined Forrest at Paris, Tenn. The next move was on Fort Heiman, where four steamboats, one gun and about two companies of furloughed men were captured. Next at Johnsonville, on the Tennessee River, where were captured and destroyed four gun-boats, fifteen steamboats, twenty-three barges, and two warehouses, supposed to contain over two and a half million dollars' worth of army supplies.
In November Lyon with a portion of the Eighth was detached and sent into southwestern Kentucky to collect up stragglers and create advertisement in favor of Hood, who was approaching to the attack of Nashville. During his absence Col. Ed Crossland took command of the balance of the brigade, with Capt. Terry Acting Assistant Adjutant-General on his staff. Hood starting on the march to Nashville, Forrest moved to join him at Florence, Ala. On this campaign they took part in the following engagements: Lawrenceburg, Butler's Creek, where Col. Crossland was wounded and the command devolved on Col. W. W. Faulkner, of the Twelfth Kentucky, Campbellsville, Columbia, Maury's Mills, Spring Hill, Franklin, Nashville, Smyrna, Murfreesboro and all the subsequent encounters on the retreat. At Corinth, Miss., Forrest halted to rest both men and horses, and the Kentucky Brigade went into camp near Okolona at the same time. Here they remained from January to March, 1865, when they rendezvoused at West Point, Miss., and thence moved to intercept the raid of Wilson on Selma and Demopolis, Ala. At Montevailo the enemy were encountered and a three-days' running fight ensued, in which nearly oneohalf of the Eighth were either killed, wounded or captured. The balance escaping, returned to West Point, Miss., where news of the surrender of Lee and Johnston being received, Forrest sent the Eighth to Columbus to guard stores. And here, on the 15th of May, 1865, the Eighth, decimated by disease, capture and death to a mere skeleton, surrendered to the enemy and were paroled. Of the Trigg boys there remained F. G. Terry, Joseph H. Mitchell, Taylor Ethridge, A.B. Crawley, Joseph Dabney, Zenas Alexander, Reuben Stallions and Richard Lester. The rest were either killed, wounded, captured, or deserted.

Somewhat confusing account, but ED wasn't one of the last 8 Trigg boys that surrendered at Columbus.  I've not been able to find him on any of the online company roles (but these appear somewhat chaotic) -- and have thought he might have enlisted under a false name. 

He remarried after my great grandmother Sarah died (scandal to much younger Curtis woman re news account previously on Trigg website) but died before CSA pension application was completed. 

All I have are family stories about him (he owned slaves, a stern master, and was a dedicated rebel).  Picture below shows ED in rocking chair, my great aunt Mary and my grandmother Rhene (shorter) standing beside him.


John Lakey