SHOLAR, Albert Wayne- Union Army

July 31, 1902

Private Albert Wayne Sholar, US ARMY

He was born January 02, 1845 in Trigg County, Kentucky. He is the 3rd child and oldest son of James Averitt Sholar and Telitha Jane Rogers. At age 18, he enlisted in the Union Army on October 25, 1863 and served in Co. F 48th Regiment Volunteer Infantry. This regiment was organized and mustered into service in Princeton, Kentucky by Captain Charles H. Fletcher of the 13th U.S. Infantry on October 26,1863 for a period of one year. He served as a private under Colonel Hartwell T Burger in the Federal Army.

The 48thRegiment was commanded by Colonel Hartwell T Burger, Lt. Colonel William W Hester, and Major William H. Hoyt. This was a mounted infantry regiment that enlisted men principally from the counties of Trigg, Lyon, Livingston, Crittenden, Union, Christian, Caldwell, Muhlenberg, Breckinfidge and Grayson Counties. The regiment was distributed along the line of the Louisville & Nashville Railroad, the details being very efficient in duty, and so well were their garrisons defended against many attacks made by the enemy, that the road was never broken during the time they defended it.

The regiment, in detachments, joined General Hobson's at Calhoun, KY about August 19, 1864, and participated in the movements and actions of that command until August 22, when at Canton, KY, the retreating Confederate command was overtaken and dispersed. Many of the Confederates were either killed or captured. Detachments of the regiment were then placed in the counties bordering on the Cumberland River and in the interior region, where they kept scouting and capturing guerillas until they were ordered to Bowling Green to be mustered out for reason of expiration of term of service.

On August 7, 1864, Captain Hiett, with 35 men detailed from Companies B and C, was attacked at Salem, KY by 300 Confederates and guerillas, and suffered a loss of 2 men killed and 3 wounded, including Captain Hiett.

On August 31, 1864 Colonel Burger with a scout of 20 men, came upon a camp of 60 guerillas in Union County. Colonel Burger and his men captured the camp with a large amount of stores and provisions, killing 1 and capturing 7 prisoners without any losses.

On November 6, 1864 Captain Jarrett, with 41 men of Companies F and K, was attacked by a force of 580 men under General Lyon. Jarrett's losses were I man killed and 2 wounded. On November 18th, this same Confederate force attacked Captain Hiett with 37 men at Eddyville. The Confederates were being pursued by Lt. Colonel Hester and 180 men from Princeton and were overtaken in camp near Providence the night of the 21st. A skirmish ensued, resulting in the capture of the camp, some stores and prisoners.

Captain Bush with one company at Smithland, was attacked several times during July, August and September by superior numbers of the enemy, but always defended the post and saved the large depository of army stores and supplies there.

On December 1, 1864, by direction of Brigadier General Hugh Ewing, the regiment was marched to Bowling Green, KY for the reason of mustering out. Its term of service had expired on October 26, 1864. But owing to the active campaign of the Confederates under Hood at Nashville, Tennessee, the regiment was kept under marching orders until December 19, 1864. It was then mustered out by C.A. Wainwright, captain 13th U. S. Infantry. The veterans were transferred to the 3rdKentucky Cavalry and the 26th Kentucky Infantry. Source: The Union Army, Volume 4, page 342. He was honorably discharged December 19, 1864 as described in the Declaration for Widows Pension.

After his service, he returned home to Trigg County, near Linton and was married to Sarah Josephine Rogers on January 14, 1867. She was also a native to Trigg County. He remained there and raised a family and farmed. He belonged to no particular church but was considered to be a fair and honest man with many friends. He died of heart disease at the age of 57 years and 7 months. He is buried in the Sholar family cemetery on the Sholar family farm. The farm and cemetery are located 7 miles north of the Tennessee and Kentucky state lines, on the east side of Highway 139. His wife Sarah continued to draw a widow's pension until her death, at age 76, on November 08, 1921. Submitted by James G. Sholar, Great- grandnephew

Death Near Linton

Heart Disease Causes the Death of a Good Citizen
Mr. A. W. Sholar, aged 58 years, a resident of the Linton district, died July 31, 1902, of heart disease. He leaves a wife and four children, namely, Frank Sholar, Mrs. Mollie Nunn, Mrs. Jennie Carr, and Dan Sholar. He was reared in Trigg county, Ky., and during the war of 1861 to '65 he enlisted in Co. F 48 Regiment Infantry and served two years under Capt. C. K. Vanpelt in the Federal Army.

He was married in 1866 to Miss S. J. Rogers. He leaves two brothers - Pinkney Sholar, of Gracey, Ky., and J. E. Sholar, of Roaring Spring district, and three sisters, Mrs. J. O. Barnett, Mrs. Minnie Thomas, and Mrs. Peyton Carr. He was not a member of any church, but was honest and regarded by his neighbors as one of the best men in his neighborhood.

He was buried at his old home where he was reared, at the late James Sholar buying ground in the presence of a large crowd of sorrowing relatives and friends, where he is now resting under the peaceful oaks that are shadowing his grave. We extend our sympathies to his bereaved ones.